Now that March is here, spring is fast approaching! Many different organizations in Renfrew are offering a variety of fun activities, programs, classes and workshops for members of our community.
The Renfrew Public Library
The Renfrew Public Library provides a great variety of programs for the members of our community. Here is a list of all of the activities taking place this spring:
- Zoom Art Class: Join Reggie from Fractured Cow Studio in creating a twisted copper tree! Part 1 of this two-part series will take place on Saturday, March 13th at 1 pm. In Part 1 you will be drawing your tree on paper, so make sure to have paper and a pencil! No art experience is necessary to participate! Email RPlibraryprograms@cogeco.net for the Zoom meeting information.
- Spring Activities for Kids: The library is offering a HUGE variety of programs for tweens and kids. Check out these posters made by the Renfrew Public Library for all of the information.
- Ontario Parks Passes: Members of our community can borrow an Ontario Parks Pass from the Renfrew Public Library. These passes provide complimentary day-use access for one vehicle and its occupants at more than 100 provincial parks where fees are normally charged! Ontario Parks has provided a limited number of Park Passes to libraries in Ontario to support Ontarians in spending more time in nature and to help make our provincial parks more accessible. This is a great opportunity for the spring!
Family and Children’s Services of Renfrew County
Family and Children’s Services of Renfrew County has organized two fun workshops designed for all age groups:
- On March 31st, you can learn how to make “Bunny Bags” with The Crafty Pineapple. This is a virtual workshop and will run from 6 pm – 7 pm.
- If you are a food lover or would like to increase your cooking skills, check out the “Lasagna Lovers” workshop. On Sunday, March 21st from 4:30 pm – 6:30 pm, learn how to make lasagna and homemade bread with J&E’s Bored n’ Saucy. This is a virtual Facebook Live event. All ingredients will be provided, however, you will need access to a kitchen with a stove/oven, pots, knives, cheese grater, bowls and a rolling pin. This meal will feed 4-6 people!
If you are interested in registering in either of these events, please email email@example.com or call 613-735-6866 ext. 3018.
Renfrew Parks and Recreation
Renfrew Parks and Recreation are promoting a large variety of spring activities and classes for all different interests and ages. Here is a list of the different activities:
- March Break Day Camps: More information about March Break day camps can be found here.
- Community Garden: The gardening season is fast approaching! If you enjoy gardening but do not have enough space, there are 5×10 gardening plots available for residents. Water and gardening tools are available onsite. If you are interested in being apart of the community garden, please contact Renfrew Parks and Recreation by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 613-432-3131 ext. 701.
- Zumba Classes: Peter Boldt is hosting Zumba Classes at Ma-te-way Activity Centre. There is no registration and members are welcome to drop in any time. There is a $5 fee per class. For more information contact Peter at 613-432-5654 or email@example.com. The class times are as follows:
- For regular classes: Mondays at 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- For seniors: Mondays at 10:00 am – 11:00 am
- For toning: Tuesdays at 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- For strength and stretch: Fridays at 10:00 am – 11:00 am
- Forever Active: Forever Active provides fitness classes designed for older adults. For more information, please contact Renfrew Parks and Recreation. The dates, times and prices are as follows:
- Mondays: March 1-29, $25
- Wednesdays: March 3-31, $25
- Fridays: March 5-26, $20
- Circuit Traning: Circuit training is perfect for those looking for a short, intense workout to improve athletic capacity and overall conditioning. Circuit training classes will run every Monday from March 1st until April 12th from 6 pm – 6:45 pm. The fee for these classes is $49 (includes 7 classes). For more information, please contact Renfrew Parks and Recreation.
- Hip Hop Classes: Hip-Hop classes will be running every Monday from March 1st until April 12th. Class times are 4 pm – 4:45 pm for ages 8-12 and from 7 pm – 7:45 pm for ages 12 and up. No dance experience is necessary! The rates are $70 for residents and $105 for non-residents. For more information, please contact Renfrew Parks and Recreation.
- Gentle Exercise: Gentle exercise is a great way to keep moving! This fitness class is designed for adults of all skill levels. For more information, please contact Renfrew Parks and Recreation. The dates, times and prices are as follows:
- Mondays: March 1-29, 11:30 am – 12:30pm, $25
- Wednesdays: March 3-31, 11:30 am – 12:30pm, $25
- Yoga with Tom: If you are interested in Yoga, there will be classes every Tuesday at 7:30 pm. These classes will be hosted at Ma-te-way Activity Centre. Drop-ins are welcome and the fee per class is $10. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gymnastics Workshops: On Saturday, March 20, 2021, Parks and Recreation will be hosting a gymnastics workshop. This workshop is for ages 5 and up. The fee is $10 per hour. To register you may call Renfrew Parks and Recreation or register online. The times and activities are as follows:
- Bars or Beams: 10 am – 11 am
- Floor or Beams: 11 am – 12 pm
- Floor or Bars: 12 pm – 1 pm
- Beams: 1 pm – 2 pm
EarlyON Renfrew Child and Family Centre
EarlyON Renfrew Child and Family Centre has provided a month-long calendar full of FREE activities for March! These programs are designed for children from birth to 6 years old. The description of activities are as follows:
- Going Virtual With Amy: Join Amy every Monday and Saturday for a new virtual activity!
- Little Bakers: This is a do-it-at-home baking program. Every Tuesday they will be providing participants with a new recipe and ingredients needed to do baking at home. Registration is required for this activity as spaces are limited.
- Zoom Storytime/Circle: Zoom Circles will include stories, songs and fun!
- Let’s Get Moving- Outdoors Edition: Tune on on Tuesdays for fun outdoor activities!
- Craft Bags: Weekly craft bags will be available for pickup/drop-off to those who are registered.
- Alphabet Lunch: Explore the alphabet with Gus through various activities that focus on literacy, math, fine motor skills, and more! A weekly online video is posted that is open to anyone who wishes to view it. A weekly activity bag is available for those who are registered.
- Show & Tell Storytime: Join EarlyON for a story and have your children bring one thing they would like to show everyone. A Zoom link for this event will be posted on Friday mornings.
- Snuggle Up & Read Zoom Storytime: Join EarlyON in the evenings at 6:30 pm for a bedtime story via Zoom.
- Read at Home Together: This is a take-home reading kit that will include one copy of the book, plus a few activities that go along with the book for children to play and learn with at home! Registration is required for this activity as spaces are limited.
- Prenatal & Nursery: This is a program for those who are pregnant, currently being delivered in an online format. Prenatal vouchers are available.
If you are interested in registering for any of these events or would like more information, please contact Renfrew EarlyOn at 613-433-9901 or email@example.com.
Renfrew & Area Seniors’ Home Support
The Renfrew & Area Seniors’ Home Support has posted their Seniors Centre Without Walls March Program Calendar. To participate in a program, call 1-800-669-6180, then enter the passcode for your program. The passcode for Tuesday and Thursday programs is 161716#. For trivia on Wednesdays, the passcode is 565654#.
Now that Renfrew County has been moved to a yellow zone, we need to be cautious of new regulations. Be sure to follow these organizations on their social media pages to be updated on their COVID-19 regulations and additional spring programs. More activities may be posted throughout the spring months that you will not want to miss!